Trash PIcked Abu Garcia Fishing Reel Resto

Third stage cleaning.  The movement is now completely free and smooth in the reel action.  I used a brass brush on the housing to clean up the discoloration. I need to get a smaller brass brush to get into the nooks and crannies and this reel will look brand new aside from the salt water damage  on the top left side.  I will post stage 4 cleaning pictures when I have completed everything.  Enjoy!





The rust is starting to break up a bit with the help of a brass brush.  I have the movement free now and I am getting some reel action. More to come....




I lucked across a fishing pole sticking out of the trash can on the way home today and to my surprise a Abu Garcia fishing reel was attached to it.  The pole itself has seen its better days and is sun bleached and a bit delaminated so it will be used for parts.  The reel has also seen its better days...sun bleached, rust damage, line mess, discolored, etc.  My plan is to get this reel back into service.  Below is a before shot. I am going to soak the reel in WD-40 for the nest couple of weeks and then work to bring it back. Check back on this project.

Comments

Popular Posts