Steering Wheel Restoration




I am going to try my hand at restoring a vintage steering wheel. I ran across a link on the internet with fairly detailed instructions so I think this is a good challenge for me. Right now, I am thinking about restoring a 1957 Chevrolet pickup truck steering wheel and then selling it on Ebay. Here is the how to link....pictures and more info to come soon. Absolutely nothing to restore on the horn center cap...it is perfect!

http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqstrg.htm
Udate 7/11/07: Horn center cap is in...I am still waiting on the steering wheel though. I purchased ivory white enamel paint at Home Depot ($4.50) and I am still looking for the epoxy I need. I will probably have to pay a visit to the "real" hardware store soon to get that. This is going to be a fun resto project and I am looking forward to starting.

Update 7/11/07: Received the steering wheel today and wow do I have my work cut out for me...it is in really bad shape! The wheel is black not white and has well over 25 cracks in it and two holes drilled in the back! If I can restore this then I can restore anything! I think this will be a big challenge for me..:)
Update 8/1/07: I decided not to restore this wheel..instead it is now hanging on my garage wall! The wheel was a mess and I do not think this one would be a good starter resto wheel project for a novice like myself. I still want to restore a steering wheel but I need a better beginning piece....4 or 5 cracks not 50! :D

Comments

Popular Posts