I swear!!! Bikes find me!!! Vintage Trek 850 and Alpine Mountain Bikes

I swear!!! Bikes find me!!! :) This week I lucked across 2 cherry trash picks which had been kicked to the curb! I found a very nice Trek 850 mountain bike and a nice 80s Alpine mountain bike. Both bikes have issues. The Trek 850 has front suspension and was missing various parts such as pedals, tires, tubes and a few other odds and ends. The 80s splatter paint Alpine bike was more complete and was only missing the right pedal. After evaluating both bikes I decided I would keep and restore the Trek for myself. The bike looks to have been garage kept and I liked the frame more so than the Alpine. I decided to switch components between the two bikes and put the best on the Trek! I started with installing a set of cherry Pro Cycle cage pedals which fit the color scheme of the bike. The pedals are anodized gold in color and match the front suspension forks of the bike. I cleaned for a few hours and then sat back to ponder the tires and wheels. The Trek had nice wheels but they were mismatched and made for 26x2.125 tires. I really wanted city/pavement tires so I decided to take the wheels and tires off of the Alpine and install on the Trek! The Alpine has 26x1.75 wheels and tires. The best part was the tubes and tires are brand new....the nips were still on the flat surface of the tire which indicates to me that noone even hit the pavement with these tires on the bike. The transplant was successful! The Alpine wheels, tires, and tubes fit the Trek without a hitch. I still have some tweeking to complete on the Trek 850 and will take care of that this week then I will be able to ride and enjoy the bike. The Alpine is currently residing in my garage and awaiting a 26x1.75 rear wheel. I tried to installswap the Trek wheels on the Alpine but the rear wheel fitment was too wide so I will wait until I find another mountain bike with a rear wheel that will fit. I plan on changing the Alpine seat and after the wheels are situated I will have the 80s bike for sale for $80. If you liked the 1980s then this bike is perfect for you!!! Imagine "tasteful" splatter paint schemes with a dash of a white water cage!! :) Come on!!! This would look great on top of your Delorean! :) I will snap pictures soon, I promise! Happy Trails!

Comments

Popular Posts